Today's update is being typed by Rob, so I will do my best to transcribe what Jen is dictating without too many typos :) My lovely wife is laying flat on her back at a slight incline due to today's developments, and cannot be moving around much, so here goes:
Well, it looks like today might be the day, but we are still hoping and praying for more time. I am now on my third doctor (grrrrr...), since Doctor K is still on vacation and won't be back until Friday, and his back-up is now on vacation too. Not sure about the new doctor yet. He came in this morning and decided to do an internal exam, even though I told him that Doctor K was not doing them, and I told him that I did not want one; but he said that he would be "very careful" not to break my bag of waters. He said that the bag is extremely low in my birth canal, and his best guess is that I am anywhere from 6 cm dialated to fully dialated, and if that part of the sac breaks, she (Baby A) could just "fall out". He then announce that he thinks today is the day, and that I will probably deliver by tonight.
They immediately sent me to L&D, and I am now only allowed to have clear liquids. My contractions did pick up last night, and weren't too terrible, but as of this morning they are about four to nine minutes apart - but very small. They have already given me all the medicine they can to stop the contractions, so there isn't much else they can do on that front except to wait to deliver.
Baby A is breach, but the plan is to deliver vaginally, because that is the only way that we could possibly keep Baby B in longer. Once Baby A delivers, I will have a 24 hour waiting period where they will monitor me and hope that my cervix starts to close and I will stop having contractions. During this time, they will continue to give me antibiotics and continue my meds to stop contractions. After 24 hours, they will reasses the situation, and decide if they can put in an emergency cerclage and keep Baby B in longer. I will be at an even higher risk of infection at this time, since they will be leaving Baby A's placenta and cord inside.
The likelihood of all this happening they way we hoped for (keeping Baby B in) is less than 2%, as she may deliver immediately after Baby A. We are also praying that Baby A (and Baby B) are big enough to intubate, since in order for the NICU staff to rescusitate and/or keep them alive, they have to be big enough in size.
We have also chosen names for our two little girls: Baby A is now Alexis Cailen (Alexis means helper or defender and Cailen means pure or girl) and Baby B is now Ashlen Selah (Ashlen is a combination of Ashley - tree field and Lynn - from the lake, and Selah is a Hebrew name for a break in music or "to pause").